Corpus Christi Parish was founded in 1941, when mass was held at the Strand Theater. It was December 14, just a week after Pearl Harbor. The first rectory was “Mango Manor”, a home built when the area surrounding it was a mango plantation. After four years of planning and fundraising, the parish overcame the daunting challenges caused by a shortage of supplies at the end of World War II – and a combined church and school, and a convent, were completed in 1947. The parishioners then persevered in their goal of building a permanent church, and the current structure was completed and dedicated in 1959. The focal point of the interior is a sculpture of Christ on the Cross, by the renowned sculptor Ivan Mestrovic.
The parish neighborhood was transformed after the arrival of Cuban refugees in the early 1960’s, and then by the construction of major highways. The parish territory was divided into the Mother Church and four missions , in order to serve the people and to solve transportation problems encountered by the new immigrants. Over several years, land was acquired and churches were built that became the Missions of San Juan Bautista, Nuestra Senora de la Altagracia, La Milagrosa, San Francisco y Santa Clara. In 2009, the parish of St. Robert Bellarmine was incorporated into Corpus Christi parish as its fifth Mission Church.
Corpus Christi Mother Church and its Missions – the community of communities – demonstrate the true meaning of “The Body of Christ”.