Our History
Founded in 1941 in Corpus Christi, a Mass was celebrated at the Strand Theater on December 14th, just one week after the attack on Pearl Harbor. On the property originally called Mango Manor, the first rectory was established—a well-known landmark built when the surrounding area was a mangrove swamp. After four years of planning and fundraising, a temporary church was built along with a school and convent, which were completed in 1947, a task that proved enormously challenging due to supply shortages at the end of World War II. Nevertheless, the parishioners persevered in their goal of building a permanent church, and the structure was completed and dedicated in 1959. At the altar stands an impressive sculpture of Christ on the cross.
The area was transformed after the arrival of Cuban refugees in the early 1960s, and later, with the construction of highways cutting through the neighborhood, parishioners responded with increased evangelization efforts. The parish territory was divided into four missions with the purpose of serving the people and addressing the transportation challenges faced by new immigrants. Our missions are: San Juan Bautista, Nuestra Señora de Altagracia, La Milagrosa, San Francisco y Santa Clara, and San Roberto Belarmino—the latter founded as an independent parish, but on October 1, 2009, it joined Corpus Christi Parish, and on September 17, 2010, it was established as the fifth mission of our parish.
The unity of the missions with the Mother Church demonstrates the true meaning of “The Body of Christ.”
Our History, told by Father José Luis Menéndez

Corpus Christi is founded with a Mass at the Strand Theater, just one week after Pearl Harbor. The first rectory rises on the old Mango Manor grounds.

After years of planning through wartime shortages, a temporary church, school, and convent are completed.

The permanent church is completed and dedicated, its altar marked by an imposing sculpture of Christ on the cross.

Cuban refugees arrive in South Florida, transforming the neighborhood and deepening the parish’s mission of welcome.

To serve new immigrants across a growing, highway-divided territory, the parish establishes four missions: San Juan Bautista, N.S. de Altagracia, La Milagrosa, and San Francisco y Santa Clara.

San Roberto Belarmino, until then an independent parish, joins Corpus Christi and is established as its fifth mission.

The Rosario de la Cueva de Iglesias Social Services Center opens on the parish campus, offering medical, legal, and social assistance to the community.









